Qualifying Life Events That Allow You to Make Changes to Your Benefits
If you experience a qualifying life event, you must notify the Benefits Department within 31 days of the event (60 days for medical changes due to Medicaid or CHIP changes). The changes you make must be consistent with the event.
Qualifying life events
- Change in employment status, such as part-time to full-time (will have 31 days to enroll)
- Birth/adopting of child
- Divorce/legal separation
- Gain/loss of other coverage for you or a dependent
- Beginning/end of domestic partnership relationship
- Death of a family member
- You or a covered dependent becomes eligible for Medicare or Medicaid
Required DocumentationIf you are enrolling dependents under your medical, dental or vision coverage, after you enroll you must submit documentation verifying that your dependents are eligible for coverage under United plans. Download a Dependent Verification Requirements flyer which lists the allowable documents you can submit to verify your dependent’s eligibility to be covered under United healthcare plans. If you cover a domestic partner, a declaration of common law marriage or an Affidavit of Domestic Partnership is required.
- Completed verification documents can be submitted with a cover page that includes your name, associate ID, last four digits of your SSN and daytime telephone number. You can:
- Email the cover page and verification documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax with cover page and verification documents to (806) 791-6341